INDUSTRY SHERIFF’S STATION
YOUTH DIVERSION PROGRAMS
The Industry Sheriff’s Station Youth Activities League (YAL) began in 1991. The concept and goal of the YAL is to be proactive in dealing with the youth of the community. The YAL offers after-school programs year round that reach over 2,000 children per year. The programs offer a wide variety of opportunities to the participants and are provided at no charge.
The following is a list of the programs:
- Basketball – The Industry YAL Basketball program is for boys and girls grades 2-8.The teams are divided into three divisions according to school grade.The program begins in early January and continues into the middle of March.Over 250 children participate each season.
- Baseball – The Industry YAL Baseball program is for boys and girls grades 3-8.The teams are divided into 16 teams.The games are conducted at two county parks.The program begins in April and continues into the middle of June.Approximately 300 children participate each season.
- Soccer – The Industry YAL Soccer program is currently under development and will begin in the fall of 2017.It is anticipated that over 300 will participate in this program.
- Camp Courage- The Industry YAL Camp Courage program is a three day, two night, trip to our camping facility in the Tonner Canyon area of Diamond Bar.The camp is a community based anti-gang program for middle school students.Camp activities include a ropes challenge course, climbing wall, crafts, hiking, and team building.Approximately 240 children participate each session.
- Scuba Diving– The Industry YAL S.H.A.R.K. (Sheriff’s High Adventure for Responsible Kids) is an open water scuba diving program.This week long course is aimed at high school students to provide a unique opportunity to work with deputies and learn about the undersea world. The participants learn that there is a better world out there, one beyond gangs and crime.Approximately 80 students participate over three sessions.
- Law Enforcement Academy – The Industry YAL Law Enforcement Academy held at La Puente High School is dedicated to equip highly motivated students to enter the law enforcement profession or other related fields.The program joins with parents and the community to help ensure a brighter future for its participants.Approximately 200 students are enrolled in this freshman through senior year of high school program.
- Martial Arts- The Industry YAL sponsors three martial arts program classes at a dedicated learning facility.The YAL Judo program is rated as one of the top five Judo clubs in the nation.The Kendo Dojo teaches the concepts of discipline through the application of the principles of the Katana (sword).The YAL Kempo program emphasizes the development of inner strength and discipline. Approximately 70 students attend classes two times a week year round.
- Explorers – The Deputy Explorer Program recruits students ages 14-21 who are interested in a career in law enforcement or other related fields.As a Deputy Explorer, students are given to tools to become better citizens.Deputy Explorers participate in community service projects, and perform non-hazardous duties including: station support, patrol ride-along, and crime prevention. There are over 45 young men and women serving Industry Sheriff’s Station as Deputy Explorers.